Monday, July 5, 2010

Driving Backwards and Inside-Out


I began my UK visit in Walton On Thames at a fantastic B&B (Sparrow's Stop). If anyone is looking for a place to stay in the area, I highly recommend it; very reasonably priced, clean and comfortable, excellent breakfasts, and owned by a really kind and helpful woman. I'd go there again in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, Sparrow Stop was booked out for much of the time I needed to be in that area, so (as I mentioned in my last post) I got in touch with a couchsurfing couple and asked to stay. They said "yes," and after 4 nights at the B&B I loaded my way-too-heavy suitcase, laptop and brand-new school bell a la one-room-schoolhouse (thank you Stagecoach!) onto a train bound for Woking. My first hosts (let's call them Brad and Janet) were not going to be home when I arrived, so they left me a key under a flowerpot and instructions to make myself at home. They even told me to use anything I liked: laptop, t.v., kitchen, etc. I entered a gorgeous old building to find everything set up for me. There was even a neat stack of fresh linen in the spare bedroom.

I went for a walk, and then met up with Brad for dinner at a pub near his home. It was a "gastro-pub," which is basically an upscale and contemporary version of the British classic. Over fish and chips and a pint, I got to know my host a little. He and his wife have couchsurfed extensively in their travels. It sounded like (other than a near miss with a couple of swingers) they've had very positive experiences. Brad told me that their apartment is in a building that was originally, and until very recently, a convent. The bike lock-up (which he showed me) was the mortuary where they kept the dead nuns. Now, I've always imagined that nuns live in very modest quarters... perhaps a small, dark, single room with one shared bathroom down the hall. However, Brad and Janet's apartment is far from this idea. It is a spacious, two bedroom with a fireplace and lots of windows.

I was only supposed to stay with Brad and Janet for two nights. However, after the first night, Brad asked me if I'd like to stay with them for the rest of my time in the area so I didn't have to keep moving around. I took them up on it!

Although we were all very busy and didn't really have much time to spend together, I had a wonderful visit. Brad and Janet are exceptionally generous and trusting; They gave me my own set of keys for my stay, and repeatedly encouraged me to help myself to anything in the kitchen (I didn't take them up on this). They also helped me plan the rest of my trip.

Thanks to them, I am currently tucked into bed in Chipping Campden: a beautiful village in the Cotswalds. I have rented a bicycle for tomorrow, and I plan to cycle around the countryside.

I'm sleeping in an Inn over a pub tonight - thin walls through which I can hear the din below - and I've booked into a B&B in Stratford Upon Avon tomorrow. However, I've put a request in for another couchsurfing stay in Bath for Wednesday and Thursday.

By the way, I rented a car today. It is a manual transmission (which means I have to shift gears with my left hand). Today I drove around on the other side of the road for the very first time (Woking to Oxford, then on to Chipping Campden after some sightseeing).

I almost had an accident right out of the rentals office... went the wrong way in a turning circle. I think I've mostly got the hang of it now... parallel parking is tricky, and I keep misjudging where the left edge of my car is and driving into curbs. An Irish man I stopped for directions told me that I was crazy for driving without a GPS (or "sat nav" as they call it here). He then proceeded to tell me that there are NO signs in this country, but that he would take me to my destination... for 100 pounds!!!!!!!

I said, "thanks but no thanks!"

(There were signs, I was just in a city and couldn't find the way onto the highway.)

I got here just fine!!!

3 comments:

  1. I thought couchsufing meant you would be sleeping on the couch...what is this spear room business?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps I should change my alias from "Couchsmurf" to "Couch Princess?" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol!! And glad you had a great couple to stay with, I’d like to try this couchsurfing when I go to Europe.

    ReplyDelete